Pages on this blog

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

The Daily Chauvinists?

A couple weeks ago, Irin Carmon at Jezebel wrote a piece critical of The Daily Show's hiring and employment practices.

The next day, Carmon noted some poor arguments being used to defend The Daily Show.

A week later, she responded to an on air mention from Jon Stewart (a quick throwaway: "Jezebel thinks I'm a sexist prick!") with a strange back-pedal/double-down, with flattery like "my mom loves you. I love you!" and barbs like "thanks to Helen Mirren last night, the show has now had 66 men as guests this year, compared to 14 women."

So now, The Daily Show not only hires unfairly, it also books unfairly. I guess it should be a 51/49 ♀/♂ split, because, you know, the guest list is pretty much taken straight from the general population.

Carmon defends her original piece as a thoroughly researched and data driven piece, getting the help of "as many people with direct experience of the show" as possible. Here's a rundown of the evidence she presents:

  • Olivia Munn is the only new female correspondent in seven years.


  • Samantha Bee is currently the only other female correspondent. (Kristen Schaal debuted in 2008, but she's just a contributor.)


  • Female correspondents don't last a long time on the show. (In contrast, I guess, to male correspondents who get full tenure immediately.)


  • Lauren Weedman didn't feel secure working on the show. (In contrast, I guess, to male correspondents who get all the love they need.)


  • A "former executive" says Stewart "runs The Daily Show with joyless rage." (…which is the the same thing as sexism.)


  • There's an old story about Stewart throwing some paper at Madeleine Smithberg, who is a woman.


  • Stacey Grenrock Woods (a correspondent for 4 years) felt like it was a boy's club.


  • According to "one show veteran", "emotional vulnerability is like blood to a shark," so I guess since women are emotionally vulnerable, it's a bad mix. (Carmon's logic uses this to explain why "many women felt marginalized." Is there some reason a surly environment is OK for men, but not for women?)


  • Adrianne Frost felt that her "grateful and thankful" behavior came across as "'needy, crazy, insecure.'" (Apparently she just feels it's that way with women.)



  • Carmon does provide counter arguments from Bee, who dismisses gender as a barrier to her success, and Allison Silverman who felt she got "nothing but support." She even quotes Smithberg (who survived the paper attack) saying "I don't think that there is a double standard at the Daily Show."

    And in a rather backhanded acknowledgment of improvement, Carmon both notes that last year two women were hired as writers, and dismisses the gesture saying that doesn't make "a female-friendly environment."

    No. Apparently, in addition to such masculine themed bits like Ed Helms getting a mole removed, you need to also have a bit about going to the gynecologist. Weedman's pitches on women's issues had to have been rejected for being too girlie, because every pitch about scrotums has made it to air. And Schaal's pieces devoted to women's issues are… not what Weedman wanted. And hiring Munn doesn't count because she's too pretty. And even tho Beth Littleford was hilarious, she was pretty too. And Bee and Schaal don't count because they don't help this line of argument. (Tho Schaal is very cute in a subversive likable way.)

    Well, who cares what I say. Read the open letter from The Daily Show women, here.

    7 comments:

    1. I really wanted to like Kristen Schaal because she is hilariously entertaining as Mel in 'Flight of the Concords.' Despite my rooting for her, however, I thought her Daily Show pieces were sub-par. The daily show correspondent segment gag, as I see it, is that they are pretending to be news reporters (which Samantha Bee, Wyatt Cenac, John Oliver, and the others do really well), but Schaal always comes off as a stand-up comic with Jokes instead of a fake reporter. Lewis Black also does this, but he isn't ever introduced as a 'correspondent' so he can get away with it. Having all that said, I am enjoying your new blog! Thanks, Thirdguy!

      ReplyDelete
    2. i agree with you about schaal. and i'm not a huge fan of the correspondents generally. i don't want to be too critical of any of them specifically, so i'll just say that cenac is my favorite.

      thanks for reading, ed.

      ReplyDelete
    3. If you know of a serious blog, I recommend further inquiry into the question of whether "emotional vulnerability" and comedy don't mix well.

      Like for example, this weekend, when I was golfing with my dad & brother, and we were on #17. As I was walking up to the green, I saw my dad foot-wedge his ball out from under a tree, so I snark, "Can I kick mine out of the trap," and then self-righteously play a horrible shot from the trap, which sets me off. So then I go, "See how it's never just ONE shot, when you foot-wedge it like that?" And then, as I'm walking up to the 18 tee, pissed as hell that he's winning by about 4 strokes because I suspect it might be close if he actually played it where it lies, I discover that there are tiny bugs crawling all over my neck (apparently from the sand shot?). So I say to him, "Are there bugs on my neck?" And he casually brushes my neck and says, "You're fine." So I let him hit his tee-shot, but now the bugs are really driving me wild, so as soon as he's done hitting, I whip my shirt off and say, "Fuckin' A -- there are bugs all over me."

      And that's when he says, "And you should probably do a few sit-ups when you get a chance."

      ...that's where it was supposed to be funny, but I was too emotionally vulnerable.

      For the record, I said nothing. Calmly teed my ball, took a practice swing--and then sailed one out of bounds. THEN I said, "Fuck you! What a rude thing to say, you fucking cheater. You need to go to church or something--I fucking quit."

      Seriously. That's how it happened. :)

      ReplyDelete
    4. well, of course they mix casey. they just don't mix for women because they can't separate logic from their emotions.

      ReplyDelete
    5. Isn't my golf story a classic, though? G-d, what a psycho I am. I was thinking while I was high on caffeine today that maybe you would be able to recognize two categories in comedy: 1) the comic who focuses on himself and his own follies vs. 2) the comic who focuses on others and others' follies.

      I suppose if I could think muchmuch quicker, the first would be my wheelhouse.

      ReplyDelete
    6. yeah, those are two pretty clear categories.

      are you telling me that's really how it happened? so when you said "seriously" you meant "seriously"? seriously? wow. i can't believe you ever uttered the phrase "what a rude thing to say."

      the church line is hilarious tho.

      ReplyDelete
    7. I really said that: "What a rude thing to say." And then the church thing, too... unbelievable. And then, almost needless to say, I've felt horrible about it ever since. I did manage an apology, about six hours later.

      What a complete douche I'd have to be for it to happen that way, though. Ugh.

      Whattya think of Doug Benson?

      ReplyDelete