Pages on this blog

Thursday, August 12, 2010

I'm Guessing You Don't Know Joff Thompson

A few years ago, Joff Thompson, a DJ and writer/performer, started a blog, "Can I make it as a stand-up comedian?" He's still posting videos on his YouTube channel; the most recent stand-up clips were posted about 10 months ago.

Of one of his clips, on the difference between men and women dancing, he writes "I'm not sure it was worth all the energy going by the lukewarm response it got. Still, you have to try these things!" I'd agree that it probably wasn't worth the energy. And I'd agree that you should try everything you think is funny.

Fortunately he's not limited to high-energy clowning. He has some good simple jokes and a good delivery once he catches his breath. Some of these jokes deserve the space to hit home. Some pauses and the occasional stab.

I don't know to what extent he's still pursuing stand-up. Based on what I've seen, I can't imagine that he has determined the answer to his blog's title is 'no.' Maybe just, 'it'll be a while.' The question is, does he want to keep working on it?

He posted this clip in 2008. He calls it his "second ever stand up gig." Not bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment